This is an issue that was occurring quite repeatedly. At first, I was able to install Extensions and Add-Ons to Google Chrome. However, at a certain point, no matter what extension/add-on I tried, it failed with the following message:
An error has occurred, NETWORK_FAILED
It did not matter whether I cleared my cache and cookies (forever). I tried using Incognito tab as well. Still no luck.
After trying all the suggestions (short of uninstalling and re-installing Google Chrome), I stumbled upon this sequence of steps :
1. Go to “run”. (after you click on the Start button in Windows)
2. Type in regedit.
3. Click on the arrow on “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE”.
4. Click on the arrow on “Policies”.
5. Click on the arrow on “Google”.
6. Click on “Updates”.
7. Double-click on “UpdateDefault REG_DWORD 0x00000001
8. Make sure it is on “Hexadecimal”.
9. Change your “Value data:” to 1.
Voila! That one registry change did the magic. I do not recall whether or not I had to restart after these registry changes. I should also mention that Google Chrome updates were failing because of this. Even when I tried to update Chrome using the Settings menu ->About, it would fail without any fail code.
I hope this helps someone!